Martha's Vineyard became one of our favorite places when we landed here by chance in June 2009. It is an island just south of Cape Cod in Massachusetts with a land area of 100 square miles making it the 58th largest island in the U.S. and the third-largest on the East Coast after Long Island and Mount Desert Island in Maine.
There are six towns on Martha's Vineyard and we touched each one the very first day (by car):
West Tisbury is the island's agricultural center.
Chilmark, in the West, has the hilliest terrain, is very rural, and includes the quaint fishing village of Menemsha.
Here are a few trivia highlights about Martha's Vineyard that I didn't know:
- The first native American graduates from Harvard came from Martha’s Vineyard.
- Three of Spielberg’s "Jaws" movies were filmed on Martha's Vineyard.
- John Belushi is buried in Abel's Hill Cemetery in Chilmark on MV.
- Three U.S. Presidents have vacationed on Martha's Vineyard, Ulysses S. Grant, Bill Clinton and, most recently, Barack Obama stayed in Chilmark on the Blue Heron Farm.
- In the television show The X-Files, Fox Mulder's parents live on Martha's Vineyard.
- Today the Vineyard, as it is affectionately called, is a destination for some 60,000 tourists each summer keeping the 15,000 permanent residents busy and off the main roads during the summer season.
I couldn't resist making a slide show of some of my snaps of Martha's Vineyard. I hope you enjoy it.
Photos & Slide Show © 2018 Claudia Ward
Music: "Cocktails for Two" by Carmen Cavallaro from "Small Town Crooks"