A while back I came upon website that I fell in love with because all of the recipes are packed with flavor. It's called Once Upon a Chef. I've made and shared a lot of them like the Thai Crunch Salad with a Peanut Dressing and Asparagus Soup, but somehow, I overlooked posting one of our all-time favorite go-to recipes - the Black Bean & Corn Salad with a Chipotle-Honey "Vinaigrette".
We have a container of this in our fridge all summer long, as it's a great complement to nearly every summer menu - fish, chicken, steak ... even Crunchy Chicken. I even take it to the beach and it keeps really well (if you don't add the avocados until serving time). So, drum roll please, allow me to introduce Once Upon a Chef's Black Bean & Corn Salad with Chipotle-Honey Vinaigrette.
Black Bean & Corn Salad
(Serves 6 at least)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 (14.5 oz) can black beans
2 ears fresh corn cooked (about 2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro (plus a bit more for garnish, if desired)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the corn, cover, and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the corn from the water and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped red onions in a small bowl and cover with water. Let sit about ten minutes, then drain completely in a sieve and set aside.
- Place the beans in a fine sieve; run under cold water to rinse well. Let drain completely and set aside.
- Holding the cooled corn upright in a large bowl, cut the kernels off the cob in strips.
- Add the beans, red onion, red bell pepper and cilantro.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or preferably overnight.
- Right before serving, slice avocado in half. Remove the pit; using a butter knife, cut a grid in each half. Holding the avocado halves over the salad, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Toss the salad gently, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (The Chef usually adds a squeeze of fresh lime to freshen it up). Garnish with a bit of fresh chopped cilantro if desired. Serve cold.
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1-2 limes
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I prefer 1, 2 is too hot)
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a blender or mini food processor; process until smooth.