Ina Garten is one of my all-time favorite cookbook authors. In my opinion, she has the most accurate recipes, meaning that if you follow her instructions exactly the end product will be exactly as she describes and that applies to roasts, salmon, sandwiches, applesauce, nuts, and even hot chocolate. Her recipes are tried and true which is much appreciated by one like me who loves to cook but also wants nearly guaranteed results. If you're going to invest the time to follow a recipe, you want predictable results, and that's what you get with the recipes Ina offers to us in her books.
Well Ina's seventh cookbook is now out and it's called barefoot contessa how easy is that?. This recipe for Chipotle & Rosemary Roasted Nuts is in the chapter on "cocktails" and I have to say they are irresistible. I've made other versions of these from recipes in various magazines and newspapers, but these stand out to me as the winner. They're just good nibblies to accompany a cocktail on ice or a chilled chablis. These are super for a party because your guests may expect ordinary nuts but there's nothing ordinary about this spicey, sweet nut combination.
Chipotle & Rosemary Roasted Nuts¹
3 cups whole roasted unsalted cashews (14 oz)
2 cups whole walnut halves (7 oz)
2 cups whole pecan halves (7 oz)
1/2 cup whole almonds (3 oz)
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves, divided
4 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Brush a sheet pan generously with vegetable oil.
- Combine cashews, walnuts, pecans, almonds, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice, and chipotle powder on the sheet pan. Toss to coat the nuts evenly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the rosemary and 2 teaspoons of salt and toss again.
- Spread nuts in one layer.
- Roast nuts for 25 minutes, stirring twice with a large metal spatula, until the nuts are glazed and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 2 more teaspoons of salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons of rosemary.
- Toss well and set aside at room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking as they cool.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight containers at room temperature.
¹Garten, Ina, barefoot contessa how easy is that? (Clarkson Potter, 2010) p. (35).